This entry was posted on Aug 23, 2022 by Charlotte Bell.
Many years in the past, a scholar got here to my class eager to learn to apply Padmasana (Lotus Pose). On the time, I had lengthy since ditched my class plans, realizing that my agenda was not at all times in sync with what college students wanted. So, on this specific day I improvised a category that constructed as much as Padmasana. That led me to start out enthusiastic about focusing my courses round a peak pose.
Since then, I’ve taught many sequences that lead as much as a peak pose. A peak pose is one which requires some particular preparation, and infrequently lends itself to modifications. Let’s be clear that the worth of our yoga apply by no means hinges on whether or not we will “carry out” peak poses. However if you wish to attempt training sure difficult poses, cautious preparation is important.
Learn how to Trend a Peak Pose Sequence
While you wish to deal with a selected peak pose, you have to first break down its parts. In different phrases, what are the bodily traits of the pose that would pose challenges? Right here’s an instance:
At this time’s peak pose is Hasta Padangusthasana (Hand-to-Large-Toe Pose). Right here’s a breakdown of the weather that it’s best to apply earlier than making an attempt this pose:
- Hip abduction
- Hip exterior rotation
- Hamstring stretching
- Torso mobility and enlargement
There are many poses that concentrate on these qualities. However I’ll present just a few examples right here that will help you get began. When you shift your intention towards getting ready for a peak pose, it may be a enjoyable and academic puzzle to determine how you can put a singular sequence collectively.
Prep Poses for Hasta Padangusthasana
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose): Begin by standing on a yoga mat in Tadasana. Starting in Tadasana means that you can assess your place to begin. Do you are feeling calm or agitated? Heavy or gentle? Boring or shiny? Drained or energetic? It’s at all times useful to tune into your baseline earlier than you begin a apply. Tadasana is a straightforward pose that offers you a chance to really feel delicate sensation. Be happy to return to Tadasana in between poses to examine in with any shifts that will have occurred.
- Vrksasana (Tree Pose): Training a stability pose has two advantages right here: you’ll be able to assess how your physique is balancing at present, and stability poses can promote focus, a obligatory talent for balancing. Additionally, hip of the bent leg in Tree Pose is in abduction (shifting away from the middle line), the identical place as the highest leg in Hasta Padangusthasana.
- Prasarita Padottanasana (Huge-Leg Ahead Bend Pose): This pose gives a straightforward approach to apply strengthening and grounding the legs. It additionally stretches the hamstrings and abducts your hip joints. Root your toes into the ground and place your palms on the ground or on yoga blocks. Utilizing yoga blocks, even for those who’re very versatile, can promote simpler respiration.
- Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II Pose): Warrior II combines stability, power and hip abduction with an expanded profile. Ensure to breathe deeply. Training the pose a number of instances on either side may also help you construct stability.
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose): Trikonasana is comparable in form to Hasta Padangusthasana, however in a unique relationship to gravity. As a result of each toes are contacting the ground, the stability problem is tremendously diminished. This offers you the chance to deal with the opposite parts: Hamstring stretch, exterior rotation, core mobility, and hip abduction. Mobilizing your core—in order that your physique can really feel expanded and linked all through—is straightforward right here. Concentrate on respiration deeply, and just be sure you keep effectively inside your vary of movement in order that your breath will be free and expansive.
- Hasta Padangusthasana (Hand-to-Large-Toe Pose): After training the earlier poses, you ought to be able to apply your peak pose. Be happy to face along with your again towards a wall so that you simply don’t have to fret about balancing. That means you’ll be able to deal with enlargement. You can even apply with one facet near a wall, and place just a few fingers on the wall to stabilize stability. In case your hand doesn’t simply attain the foot of the prolonged leg, use a yoga strap to carry onto the foot. This may aid you keep expanded alignment.
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and started instructing in 1986. Charlotte is the creator of Conscious Yoga, Conscious Life: A Information for On a regular basis Observe and Yoga for Meditators, each printed by Rodmell Press. Her third e-book is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and folks sextet Pink Rock Rondo, whose DVD gained two Emmy awards in 2010.